Monday, August 22, 2016

Pledge of Allegiance

I love The Vinyl Cafe and the captivating storytelling that is, Stuart McLean. A few years ago, Stuart was inspired to write this pledge while visiting with a young American friend who was soon heading off to school. His pledge struck a chord in me and has meandered through my being for a few years. As the new school year approaches, I decided to post Stuart's Pledge of Allegiance here and am in the process of writing mine. How about you? What do you pledge?



Pledge of Allegiance – Stuart McLean

I pledge my allegiance to truth, under whatever flag it flies, for I know no one holds all truth. And I pledge my allegiance to kindness wherever I see it and understanding whenever it comes. I pledge my allegiance to sharing and hopefulness, and to speaking softly, and to love when I feel it, and to hope when I don’t. I pledge my allegiance to the children of the world. Boys and girls like me who are in this classroom, and who are far from here. Who are rich and who are poor and to all the schools here and not here and to the knowledge in the school libraries, and I pledge to follow the path of knowledge to the best of my abilities because with knowledge comes wisdom and with wisdom comes grace. I also pledge my allegiance to laughter because laughing makes people feel better. Finally I pledge my indivisible allegiance to recess. I pledge to play with a joyful and kind heart and I pledge to use my voice and not to hit because I know how I play is how I will live my life and I want to follow the path of peace and understanding and live softly on this good Earth.

Thank you Stuart.

~ Ellyn

No comments: