Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Invisible Leadership

“We’re here because we’re here, because we’re here because we’re here…” I first heard these words sung, by my brother, when I was a young girl. Any of you who came up through the Boy Scout movement, will recognize this questionable war chant as well. For the better part of my life, I have allowed those words to resonate throughout my being and as I reflect on my calling of teacher, I let those words fill every crack and crevice of who I am.

Each time I have been asked to mentor a new teacher, I have realized the importance of being an invisible leader – a designation that I have been inspired to consider from the expressions of Wayne Dyer. As a mentor, it is not about my journey any longer but about the new teacher’s calling to this role of leadership. If I can take a step sideways, guide without judgment and let that person find their way on the path successfully - and then just disappear, I feel I have done my job. This is but one of my purposes on this earth at this time, and why I am here…

…Ellyn….

No comments: